• Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

    Do you have a specific question? Here is a list of common questions our admission staff addresses with students. If you are looking for an answer to a question not listed, please contact us directly at gseinfo@buffalo.edu.

    Special Admission FAQs Related to COVID-19

    We are here to support you! Please visit our COVID-19 FAQ page.

    Answers will be updated as the situation evolves.

    » COVID-19: Frequently Asked Admission Questions

    Admission Questions

    What are the requirements for admission?

    • Complete an online application, making sure to indicate the degree or certification program for which you are applying. 
    • Evidence of a completed undergraduate bachelors degree is required before you can be admitted to any graduate program. 
    • A nonrefundable fee must accompany the application in order for it to be processed. 
    • Test scores or other supporting application materials may be required.

    You can only apply to one program at a time within our school. All credentials must be received before the specified deadline. When all application materials have been submitted and the application has been reviewed, the Office of Graduate Admission will notify you of our admission decision. Specific admission and application requirements are listed on each academic program page. 

    Do I need to take the GRE or MAT test?

    This requirement is program specific. Please view the specific program application requirements to see what the standardized test requirements are for your program of interest. Our list of programs and requirements can be found in our academic programs section.

    What undergraduate GPA does UB look for in making an admission decision?

    Admission criteria varies from program to program. Most programs at UB employ a holistic admission review policy, where your prior academic performance is only one of several determining factors in the admission decision. We are happy to discuss the application and admission process with you in more detail. Request information about a program or contact us.

    What are the undergraduate major requirements for admission into a GSE Program?

    Undergraduate major requirements vary according to the program. Lists of acceptable majors are available for the programs that have specific requirements.

    Evidence of a completed undergraduate bachelors degree is required before you can be admitted to any graduate program. Many doctoral programs also require evidence of a completed master's degree. Our list of programs and requirements can be found in our academic programs section.

    What if I have a felony offense?

    The University at Buffalo Graduate School of Education (GSE) supports the State University of New York Board of Trustees’ decision to remove application questions asking about prior felony convictions. While applicants to the University who have a felony offense in their background no longer have to report that information prior to receiving an offer of admission, GSE students participating in clinical or field experience, internships or study abroad programs must declare a prior felony conviction prior to matriculation.

    Please note: a prior felony conviction may impede your ability to complete the requirements of your program and/or to meet the licensure requirements for certain professions. If you are responding yes to the above question, a campus committee will review this information (and may request additional information) and will provide your accepting department with guidance as to potential challenges in securing a field placement, depending on the nature of the charges. If students are unable to successfully complete field education requirements it will result in dismissal from the program.

    Will I be interviewed as part of the admission process?

    Some programs require an interview. If your program has the requirement you will be contacted to set up the interview after your completed application has been received. The notification may come by email so please check the email address you listed on your application.

    Can I transfer in credits from another institution?

    Transferring credits is done through a consultation with your faculty advisor after acceptance to an academic program, on a case by case basis. Please review the transfer credit policies outlined by UB's Graduate School for more information.

    How do I have official transcripts sent to UB?

    You must contact the registrar of each college or university that you have attended and ask them to send official transcripts to UB.

    UB transcripts are automatically submitted for current UB students, UB alumni and others who have studied at UB.

    What address should I use to send my transcripts to UB?

    Send final transcripts to:

    University at Buffalo
    Office of Graduate Admission
    Graduate School of Education
    366 Baldy Hall
    Buffalo, NY 14260

    Application Questions

    Can I get a paper application sent to me?

    No, we only accept online applications

    What if I forgot my password for the online application?

    On the application login page click on the link that says “Forgot Your Password?” You will be asked to enter your email address and birthdate. You will then be able to reset your password. The email address you enter must match the email address on your application form. 

    Where do I send my test scores?

    For the GRE Exam:

    • Indicate university code 2925
    • Indicate department code 2005 for programs in Counseling, School and Educational Psychology
    • Indicate department code 3001 for programs in Educational Leadership and Policy
    • Indicate department code 4701 for programs in Information Science
    • Indicate department code 3101 for programs in Learning and Instruction

    For the MAT Exam:

    • Indicate that you want your scores sent to University at Buffalo or SUNY University at Buffalo. It is important that you do not confuse this with College at Buffalo, which is a different institution.

    For the TOEFL Exam:

    • Indicate the University at Buffalo code 2925 for all programs.

    Do I need to send transcripts to UB with my application?

    For the purposes of submitting an application for formal review, you do not need to send your official transcripts to UB. You should upload unofficial copies of your transcripts from all institutions you have previously attended to your application. If accepted to your program, YES, you must send official transcripts from all* institutions you have previously attended. These should be sent directly from those institutions. 

    * UB transcripts are automatically submitted for current UB students, UB alumni and others who have studied at UB.

    Do I need letters of recommendation?

    This requirement is program specific. Check the application requirements for your specific program to find out if letters are required, how many are needed and by whom they should come from.

    Where do I send my letters of recommendation?

    All letters of recommendation must be submitted electronically by the recommender. 

    On the application you will be asked to provide contact information about each individual providing you a recommendation. Please note that your recommenders will receive the electronic request to provide a recommendation letter only after you “formally submit” your application.

    How can I pay my application fee?

    The application fee payment must be submitted electronically through UB's ePayment system. The application fee is $50.00.

    What are the deadlines for having my application submitted?

    Application deadlines are different for each program. Check the information for your specific program to find out the deadline. 

    What should I include in my statement of career objectives?

    Your statement may include a detailed explanation of your career objectives, and describe how the program will help you achieve those objectives and plans.

    When will I find out if I have been accepted?

    Most admission decisions are made within 6 to 8 weeks after the application deadline. An application is complete and eligible for admission review once it had been formally submitted along with all supporting documentation (transcripts, test scores, letters of recommendation) to the Office of Graduate Admission.

    Who can I contact for more information?

    Please request information about our programs using our form.

    You may also contact the Office of Graduate Admission by phone (716-645-2110) or email (gseinfo@buffalo.edu).

    General Questions

    What programs are offered by the Graduate School of Education?

    The Graduate School of Education offers programs in four departments:

    All available programs can be found in our academics section.

    How do I find what programs are offered?

    Start by visiting our academics section. The program information is organized by degree to help you find the correct program. If you cannot find the program you are looking for, contact the Office of Graduate Admission. You can reach us at 716-645-2110 or gseinfo@buffalo.edu

    Is there financial support offered by the Graduate School of Education?

    Fellowships and assistantships, including tuition scholarships, may be available through individual departments. Limited part-time employment on campus may be available. More information is available our financial aid page.

    What does it cost to attend programs in the Graduate School of Education?

    International Applicant Questions

    Are you an international student and unable to take the IELTS, PTE or TOEFL?

    If you are currently unable to take the IELTS, PTE or TOEFL tests because they are canceled due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19), the University at Buffalo will accept the Duolingo English Test (DET) for proof of English proficiency. This test can be taken online, in your own home. More information can be found on the Graduate School’s website.

    The TOEFL iBT® Special Home Edition is a safe and convenient option for students who are unable to take the TOEFL iBT test at a test center due to public health concerns.

    What is the cost of attending UB?

    The cost of attending UB as an international students changes each academic year.

    What do I have to show to verify my financial ability to attend UB?

    You must show financial documents to verify your ability to support your study in the U.S. (Please see the "Standard Graduate" PDF form on the page linked below.)

    Is there financial assistance available to graduate students in GSE?

    Fellowships and assistantships, including tuition scholarships may be available through individual departments. Limited part-time employment on campus may be available. More information is available our financial aid page.

    How do I get a student visa to study at UB?

    Once you apply and are admitted to UB, International Admissions will issue an I-20 to you. The I-20 is the Certificate of Visa Eligibility form that you will need to apply for an F-1 student visa.  

    Do I need to take the TOEFL/IELTS/PTE exam?

    Yes. In addition to meeting the standard academic criteria for the program to which you are applying, international applicants must also demonstrate English proficiency. All international students must take one of the tests indicated and meet the university minimum score requirement. This requirement is met by taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic.

    It is important to review the specific application requirements to learn the minimum score required for your program.


    Scores must be less than two years old at the time of admission; older scores will not be accepted.

    Official scores must be sent directly to UB from the testing agency. Copies may be submitted for initial review.

    What score does UB look for on the TOEFL/IELTS/PTE exam?

    The minimum score for admission varies by program. If the TOEFL/IELTS/PTE score falls below the program minimum, the student may have to attend a summer intensive English language program or a full fall or spring semester program.

    Detailed information on the required TOEFL/IELTS/PTE score can be found within the application requirement information for international applicants on each academic program page.

    Online Student Questions

    Am I eligible for any fee waivers?

    Please note that you will initially be charged all tuition and fees. However, as an online student, approximately half of your comprehensive fee and possibly your entire student activity fee will be waived.

    Contact your respective departments to confirm the current procedure for obtaining the fee waivers. If the fees are not waived prior to your bill’s due date, please be sure to pay your bill on time and in full to avoid late charges.

    Am I required to submit immunization forms?

    ALL students must complete the Meningitis Information Response Form before being granted access to registration. However, students enrolled in a fully online program are exempt from the MMR requirement and Health Background Form.