English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Education

Program Requirements

As we work to integrate program changes, please email the Office of Educator Preparation (ubedprep@buffalo.edu) or contact an advisor (716-645-2461) to confirm requirements before applying.

Our master's program in ESOL education is for you if you wish to obtain New York State initial/professional certification to teach grades K–12 bilingual and/or English language learners. This program is also for you if you have already obtained initial teacher certification before entering the program, but you aspire to complete both a master's degree in ESOL education and satisfy grades K–12 professional ESOL certification requirements. Our program focuses on teaching English as a new language to speakers of other languages in U.S. educational systems: early childhood, childhood and secondary schools.

If you already have obtained your teacher certification and are looking to add to your professional skill set, our ESOL certificate of advanced study is for you. Our extension program focuses on teaching English as a new language to speakers of other languages in U.S. educational systems: early childhood, childhood and secondary schools.

On this page:

Why English for Speakers of Other Languages Education at UB?

The features of our program include:

  • research and evaluation projects, including field experiences and projects in collaboration with local schools' bilingual and second language programs
  • study of English language learners and bilingual education students
  • study of foundation of bilingual, dual and second language education
  • study of bilingualism and first and second language acquisition
  • study of developmental readers, second language reading processes, and reading instruction at elementary grades; second language literacy; adolescent literacy practice; language, literacy and culture; children's and young adult literature; and classroom reading and second language assessment

English for Speakers of Other Languages Education Programs

Initial / Professional Professional Extension

To be eligible for this program, you must have majored in or completed 30 credit hours in one of the following areas:

  • Hold initial teacher certification in another certification area AND undergraduate/graduate coursework or concentration (30 credits) in English, linguistics, speech/communication or LOTE) as per our existing NYS approved, combined initial-professional program in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages.
  • 15 credits completed in one of the above areas AND holding a teacher certification in areas such as literacy, reading, or other language/culture-related fields. Teachers holding certification in general education (elementary/childhood or early childhood) would meet the above 15 credits with a recommendation from the faculty reviewing the application explaining equivalent courses or experiences related to the field (ESL or bilingual) which demonstrate the relevant qualifications of the applicant.

Applicants must demonstrate advanced English proficiency as per our NYS-approved, combined initial-professional ESOL certification program.

Program Overview

Academic credential granted Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS)
Certification option Successful completion of program leads to an institutional recommendation for a NYS English for Speakers of Other Languages Education Extension
Grade levels K to 12
Credits required for completion 15
Time to completion 3 to 4 part-time semesters
Course delivery On campus
Career opportunities ESOL teacher
Application deadline Priority Deadlines

Fall: Feb. 1, then rolling until July 15
Summer: Feb. 1, then rolling until April 15
Spring: Nov. 1, then rolling until Dec. 1
Frequently Asked Questions

We have a collection of frequently asked questions that may help you. If your questions are still unanswered, we are glad to help! Contact our admission office.

Questions About the Admission Process?

Graduate School of Education
366 Baldy Hall, North Campus

University Computing Standards

You are required to have daily access to a reliable broadband connection and a computer that meets university computing standards. You are also expected to have basic computer competency before beginning your coursework.