Educational Leadership and Policy for Equity Minor Director
EDUCATIONAL LEADERSHIP AND POLICY
Critical Policy Analysis; Gender Studies; Global Issues; Educational Policy; Legal Issues; Qualitative Research Methods; Politics of Education
I am a feminist scholar who examines the politics of education, and how social policies address structural violence to improve the well-being and human rights of young women and girls. This includes investigating policy actor knowledge, discourse, and decision-making processes in an era of neoliberal reform. This also involves considering how power and normative culture factor into said processes. Both areas rely upon interdisciplinarity and qualitative methods to examine causes, effects, and public sector responses to gender-based violence and forced displacement.
My research, teaching, and service are shaped by work in sexual assault prevention and advocacy, and a previous career in U.S. public secondary education - each of which inspire the centering of transparent, reciprocal, and co-constructed partnerships to support the common good and improve the social determinants of health for women and girls. Select practitioner career achievements include a J. William Fulbright Fellowship (South Korea), James Madison Memorial Fellowship, NEH Outstanding Teaching Award, and National Board Certification (Secondary Social Studies).
My research is published in outlets such as Children's Geographies, Educational Policy, Gender and Education, Journal of Education Policy, and The Urban Review. Current projects include further development of feminist critical policy analysis tools and critique of intersecting social policies that delimit, dislocate, and engender structural trauma and disposability - with ongoing research questions concerning (un)intended policy consequences, for whom do policies work, and to what ends for collective futurity.
• UB Alberti Center for Bullying Abuse Prevention
• UB Community for Excellence in Global Health Equity (Refugee Health and Wellbeing co-Lead)
• UB Department of Global Gender & Sexuality Studies
• UB Gender Institute (Executive Committee)
• UB Honors College
• Childhood, Law, Policy Network, Queen Mary University of London, United Kingdom Arts and Humanities Research Council
• University of Huddersfield, International Advisory Group for the Ni3 Centre for the Prevention of Gender-based Violence
• HON 214: Critical Policy Analysis in Education
• ELP 200: Foundations of Education Policy & Leadership for Social Justice
• ELP 405: Sociology of Education
• ELP 500: The Nature of Inquiry
• ELP 626: Policy Formation & Analysis
• ELP 652: Leadership & Policy for Inclusion
• ELP 687: Introduction to Qualitative Methodology & Design
• ELP 689: Critical Policy Analysis
• ELP 695: Education Policy & Economic Justice
Please visit my ORCID and LinkedIn profiles to learn more about my work.