Educational Leadership and Policy for Equity Minor Director
EDUCATIONAL LEADERSHIP AND POLICY
Critical Policy Analysis; Gender Studies; Gender, Culture, and Equity; Global Issues; Educational Policy; Legal Issues; Qualitative Research Methods; Politics of Education; Wellness
My scholarship examines the politics of education and how social policies, in an era of neoliberal reform, address structural violence to improve the health, well-being, and human rights of young women and girls. I am an interdisciplinary, qualitative, and feminist scholar, and my research projects focus on policy actor knowledge, discourse, power, and how normative culture shapes public sector responses to gender-based violence and forced displacement.
My research, teaching, and service are informed by work in sexual assault prevention and advocacy, and a previous career in U.S. public secondary education - each of which inspire the centering of transparent, reciprocal, and co-constructed partnerships to support the common good and improve the social determinants of health for women and girls.
Current projects include further development of feminist and other critical policy analysis tools, and critique of intersecting social policies that delimit, dislocate, and engender structural trauma and disposability - with ongoing research questions concerning (un)intended policy consequences, for whom do policies work, and to what ends for collective futurity.
My work can be found in outlets such as Children's Geographies, Educational Policy, Gender and Education, Journal of Education Policy, and The Urban Review. Select practitioner career achievements include a J. William Fulbright Fellowship to South Korea, James Madison Memorial Fellowship, National Endowment for the Humanities Outstanding Teaching Award, and National Board Certification (Secondary Social Studies).
• UB Alberti Center for Bullying Abuse Prevention
• UB Community for Excellence in Global Health Equity (Refugee Health and Wellbeing co-Lead)
• UB Department of Global Gender & Sexuality Studies
• UB Gender Institute (Executive Committee)
• UB Honors College
• Childhood, Law, Policy Network, Queen Mary University of London, United Kingdom Arts and Humanities Research Council
• University of Huddersfield, International Advisory Group for the Ni3 Centre for the Prevention of Gender-based Violence
• HON 214: Critical Policy Analysis in Education
• HON 499: CRT & Education
• ELP 200: Foundations of Educational Policy & Leadership for Social Justice
• ELP 405: Sociology of Education
• ELP 500: The Nature of Inquiry
• ELP 626: Policy Formation & Analysis
• ELP 652: Leadership & Policy for Inclusion
• ELP 687: Introduction to Qualitative Methodology & Design
• ELP 689: Critical Policy Analysis
• ELP 695: Educational Policy & Economic Justice
Please visit my ORCID and LinkedIn profiles to learn more about my work.